April is National Oral Health Care month, but you should never wait for a special occasion to pay extra attention to your teeth and your oral hygiene, right? As a matter of fact, not paying attention to your mouth all of the time can have a tremendous impact on your health in general. Did you know that poor oral health can lead to gum disease, which left untreated can lead to the loss of teeth or even respiratory problems?  The Canadian Dental Associations does.
I myself have had a love/hate relationship with dental care for a long time now. Due to an illness that caused facial nerve problems for me, my teeth suffered a great deal. While my situation was extreme, the way it affected my oral health was not new to my dentist. We have worked together to get back my smile and if you struggle with something that causes you to keep your mouth closed more than you should, you should check out the following tips. I guarantee they will get you on the path to a brighter, whiter smile. 🙂
For the kids
Children often look at mom and dad as role models, so make sure you lead by example and talk to them about the importance of taking care of their teeth and gums!
- Suggest using a timer or a song to ensure that the kiddies are brushing for as long as they’re supposed to. The ABC’s are the perfect background tune!
- Give your kiddos a bonus for brushing. A sticker chart that keeps track of their brushing habits is a great way to give them an incentive to brush.
- Introduce a toothpaste and brush that features one of your kid’s favourite characters – such as the Orajel™ Spiderman™ and My Little Pony™ Anticavity Fluoride Toothpaste and the Kids Spinbrush™ My Little Pony™ Battery Toothbrush. It keeps things exciting while practicing healthy habits! My kids love using these brushes!
Make sure you’re brushing and flossing at least twice a day to achieve optimal oral health.
- The Canadian Dental Association recommends replacing your toothbrush or toothbrush head every three months or sooner if it becomes worn, for an optimal clean.
- Use a battery-powered toothbrush with sonic pulsating action. For example, the new Arm & Hammer™ Sonic Pulse Battery Toothbrush is clinically proven to remove 2X more plaque versus a manual toothbrush. This toothbrush has a slim, ergonomic handle and comes with a replaceable head and battery!
- If you can’t resist desserts and candy, pay attention! Foods that contain a lot of sugar can stain your teeth and soften tooth enamel. I recommend Arm & Hammer™ Truly Radiant™ Clean & Fresh™ Toothpaste for enamel safe whitening and lasting freshness plus it prevents tartar build up!
This month make it your goal to wear a smile you’re proud of. How are you practicing good oral health habits?
 Canadian Dental Association
Disclosure: I am part of the Church & Dwight 2017 Ambassador program and as such receive compensation in the form of product and/or payment but as always my opinion is my own